Community Engagement Manager
Tech North (part of Tech City UK) is a government-backed initiative aimed at accelerating the growth of the digital business sector in the North of England. Since launching in 2015, the team has already launched Northern Stars, Founders Network,the Digital Powerhouse Report, Northern Voices, and Upskill. We do this by focusing on five areas:
- Raise the profile of the Northern Tech sector and the companies within it by uniting the regions to tell one great story
- Create the central point of data on Northern Tech to support our initiatives around funding and skills
- Support the creation of a leading ecosystem for founders and entrepreneurs through access to funding, networking, training and support for accelerators and co-working spaces.
- Reduce the skills and talent gap in digital and tech by collaborating with tech employers both large and small
The culture is one of a start up with a lean mentality. We aim to be agile, transformative and authentic in our day-to-day operations.
What we're looking for...
Challenge of the role
Tech North covers the eight Northern tech clusters of Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, Sunderland, Newcastle, and Middlesbrough and all the space in between – 14,400 square miles in total. This geographic spread brings its challenges and the role of the Community Engagement Manager is to represent their share of this territory.
As a consummate networker you’ll immerse yourself in your region’s tech industry, being the “eyes and ears” of Tech North and identifying ways we can add value. You’ll also represent Tech North and ensure strong uptake for our programmes and initiatives.
Duties & responsibilities
- Build a thorough understanding of needs through community engagement: Connect with tech companies and industry stakeholders in your region and understand where the gaps are and where Tech North can actively support communities.
- Represent Tech North in your interaction with the tech community and share its vision and mission
- Support our content and research efforts by helping to maintain our ecosystem database.
- Provide internal and external updates on key initiatives in your region
- Support our commercial and non-commercial partnerships in the region and help identify new partners.
- Organise cross-city events and meet-ups, providing opportunities for collaboration and support between start ups, investors and mentors.
- Facilitate grassroots communications by building relationships and connections and ensuring this engagement is embedded into initiatives being delivered by the Tech North team as well as by Tech City UK as a whole.
- Provide support to local tech communities to seed the growth of networks and the wider ecosystem.
- Contribute to the work of the wider communications and engagement team, including internal/external communications, public affairs, media work and events, as appropriate.
Skills & experience
- You are passionate about the North West and its future
- You have experience of working in the digital and technology sector
- You are personable and enable to quickly build strong and positive relationships with stakeholders
- You are a strong communicator, able to work with a range of stakeholders, including entrepreneurs and mentors
- You have excellent knowledge of methods and channels for engaging with broad group of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds
- You are a highly-motivated self-starter, able to work both independently and as part of a team
How to apply
Location – anywhere in the North of England
If you are interested, please send a covering letter, your CV and a short email to email@example.com for more details. No agencies please.
Tech City UK is an equal opportunities employer. Job applicants may be asked to provide evidence of their ability to work and live in the country where the role exists.