Tech North (part of Tech City UK) is a government-backed initiative aimed at accelerating the growth of the digital business sector in the North of England. Since launching in 2015, the team has already launched Northern Stars, Founders Network, the Digital Powerhouse Report and Career Hacker. We do this by focusing on five areas:
1. Raise the profile of the Northern Tech sector and the companies within it by uniting the regions to tell one great story
2. Create the central point of data on Northern Tech to support our initiatives around funding and skills
3. Support the creation of a leading ecosystem for founders and entrepreneurs through access to funding, networking, training and support for accelerators and co-working spaces.
4. Reduce the skills and talent gap in digital and tech by collaborating with tech employers both large and small
5. Assure the sustainability of Tech North and its initiatives by making sure we secure funding for beyond 2018
The culture is one of a start up with a lean mentality. We aim to be agile, transformative and authentic in our day-to-day operations.
What we're looking for...
Challenge of the role
Tech North is committed to addressing the opportunities and challenges that are posed by the growth of the technology sector in the North of England. The success of our programmes and initiatives such as Northern Stars, Founders’ Network and Talent & Skills rely on the design and operation of high quality events. These events are of varying scales, formats, engaging different target audiences and in collaboration with a broad range of partners. As Events Coordinator, you should be committed to delivering the best possible outcomes for participants and appreciate the impact this has on promoting the North as a place with a high-quality, successful and attractive technology sector.
Reporting to the Head of Programmes, but serving the whole of Tech North, you will be passionate about working with the technology sector and keen to assist with events that will expose you to the various opportunities and challenges that our initiatives address (such as entrepreneurship, talent, and finance etc.). You will help to ensure the successful design, scoping, execution and delivery of events across multiple initiatives, being fully responsible for the operation of smaller/medium sized events and assisting external events contractors with the running of Tech North’s larger events.
This role fulfils a vital support function for the Programme Team and wider Tech North organisation.
Duties & responsibilities
- Responsible for the delivery of events from conception through to completion, driving attendance and ensuring the highest quality outcomes for participants.
- Overseeing various types and sizes of events across the North and nationally, and occasionally assisting with international events.
- Managing external contractors and suppliers, including the relationship with external ‘Events Management’ companies for larger scale events.
- Coordinate the usual events processes such as venues, registrations, AV/lighting/tech, catering, marketing collateral, banners, delegate packs etc.
- Ensure that event data (such as registrations) is properly captured for future KPI reporting and assist with any post-event follow up with participants and partners.
- Working hands-on and collaboratively with staff across Tech North, helping to agree and take ownership of relevant event budgets that are assigned to you, and reporting on the status of these budgets as required.
- Responsible for meeting any setup requirements and schedule expectations as required by the relevant initiative and its manager.
- Assist with forward planning and prioritisation to prevent ‘last minute’ scenarios.
Skills & experience
- You have experience of working as an events coordinator or manager (or similar support function)
- Capable of planning and assisting with medium to large scale events
- Highly self-motivated and determined
- Ability to source high quality suppliers quickly and methodically
- Capable or organising deliveries and necessary travel or shipping arrangements
- As coordinator, maintain a first-in/last-out type mentality with events you are overseeing
- Personable and quick to build strong and positive relationships with various stakeholders including entrepreneurs, partners, sponsors, corporates, and VIPs
- Passionate about the North and supporting early-stage tech companies and their founders
- Comfortable with handling pressure and deadlines
- Working as part of a friendly and passionate team, willing to assist with any task, but capable of working remotely and across various locations.
How to apply
Location – The North of England
If you are interested, please send a covering letter, your CV and a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. No agencies please.
Tech City UK is an equal opportunities employer. Job applicants may be asked to provide evidence of their ability to work and live in the country where the role exists.