Programme Lead - Northern Stars
Tech North (part of Tech City UK) is a government-backed initiative aimed at accelerating the growth of the digital business sector in the North of England. Since launching in 2015, the team has already launched Northern Stars, Founders Network, the Digital Powerhouse Report and Career Hacker. We do this by focusing on five areas:
1. Raise the profile of the Northern Tech sector and the companies within it by uniting the regions to tell one great story
2. Create the central point of data on Northern Tech to support our initiatives around funding and skills
3. Support the creation of a leading ecosystem for founders and entrepreneurs through access to funding, networking, training and support for accelerators and co-working spaces.
4. Reduce the skills and talent gap in digital and tech by collaborating with tech employers both large and small
5. Assure the sustainability of Tech North and its initiatives by making sure we secure funding for beyond 2018
The culture is one of a start up with a lean mentality. We aim to be agile, transformative and authentic in our day-to-day operations.
What we're looking for...
Challenge of the role
Tech North is committed to identifying the world-class startups that exist in the North of England and raising their profile on the global stage. The Northern Stars programme has been has been developed to provide entrepreneurs of startup and early-stage tech companies with an initiative to help build their networks, make valuable connections, engage with investors and/or new customers and generate media attention. The by-product of this activity is to raise the profile of the North as a place with a high-quality, successful and attractive technology sector.
You will be passionate about working with technology startup entrepreneurs and well versed in all aspects of the tech sector and startup culture. Taking ownership of a successful Tech North programme you will have the opportunity to develop its future design and assume full responsibility for its day-to-day management, performance and operation.
Duties & responsibilities
- Take on responsibility for delivering the currently active Northern Stars programme, meanwhile working with the Head of Programmes to develop the next programme of Northern Stars, presenting new ideas whilst accommodating existing strategy.
- Manage relationships and organisation of startups through the programme and ensure that their experience is of the highest quality with the best possible outcomes.
- Management of the programme budget and responsible for routinely communicating to the Head of Programmes any necessary monitoring and reporting updates on the status of the programme.
- Operational management of the programme, including oversight of branding, collateral, events, schedules, milestone evaluation and prioritisation.
- Engage the Northern tech community to help inform your plans for the programme and build your network, whilst also representing Tech North and sharing its vision and purpose.
- Facilitate valuable introductions for programme participants and act as a useful resource for the local tech community.
- Develop valuable-adding relationships with potential partners and sponsors.
- Provide an approachable and public voice on behalf of the programme, Tech North, and the Northern tech sector.
- Contribute to the work of the wider programme delivery and Tech North team, including internal/external communications, public affairs, media work and events, as appropriate.
- Networking at various events for the purpose of maintaining programme relevance, quality and promotion.
Skills & experience
- You have experience of working as a programme or project manager and able to scope and manage complex projects
- Capable of designing and overseeing medium to large scale events
- An eye for detail and brand, with a drive to deliver the best possible programme
- You are personable and able to quickly build strong and positive relationships with various stakeholders including entrepreneurs, mentors, partners, sponsors, corporates, government and high-profile organisations or individuals
- Passionate about the North and supporting early-stage tech companies and their founders
- You have experience of working in the digital technology sector and/or have a thorough understanding of the needs of young and growing technology companies
- Willing to push the boundaries on programme performance and comfortable with handling the resulting pressures and deadlines
- You are a capable presenter and able to speak in front of small and large audiences
- Highly self-motivated and want to be part of a friendly and passionate team
How to apply
Location – anywhere in the North of England
If you are interested, please send a covering letter, your CV and a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. No agencies please.
Tech City UK is an equal opportunities employer. Job applicants may be asked to provide evidence of their ability to work and live in the country where the role exists.