Talent & Skills Project Manager
(Six Month Contract)
Tech North (part of Tech City UK) is a government-backed initiative aimed at accelerating the growth of the digital business sector in the North of England. Since launching in 2015, the team has already launched Northern Stars, Founders Network, the Digital Powerhouse Report and Career Hacker. We do this by focusing on five areas:
1. Raise the profile of the Northern Tech sector and the companies within it by uniting the regions to tell one great story
2. Create the central point of data on Northern Tech to support our initiatives around funding and skills
3. Support the creation of a leading ecosystem for founders and entrepreneurs through access to funding, networking, training and support for accelerators and co-working spaces.
4. Reduce the skills and talent gap in digital and tech by collaborating with tech employers both large and small
5. Assure the sustainability of Tech North and its initiatives by making sure we secure funding for beyond 2018
The culture is one of a start up with a lean mentality. We aim to be agile, transformative and authentic in our day-to-day operations.
What we're looking for...
Challenge of the role
Tech North is committed to addressing the people and skills challenges experienced by both large and small companies in the growing technology sector in the North of England.
Our Talent and Skills programmes, which will include a spokesperson training network and an business accelerator for skills providers, will try to offer solutions to these challenges, using different programme scales and formats, with a varied target audience and selection of partners.
The objective is always to add value for the programme participants, but the by-product of this activity is that companies will be able to find the people they need, and people will be able to find good jobs in the sector.
As part of the Talent and Skills team at Tech North, you will be passionate about working with the technology sector and keen to assist with programmes that expose you to the various opportunities and challenges that our programmes address (including a lack of awareness of good digital jobs, limited funding for training and a lack of diversity in the current workforce).
Reporting to the Head of Talent and Skills, but working closely with Community Engagement, Content and Commercial teams, you will help to ensure successful execution and delivery across multiple initiatives, pro-actively taking on critical tasks while managing an extensive range of important relationships with programme participants, organisations and suppliers.
This role also fulfils a vital administrative support function for the Head of Talent and Skills, however opportunity for advancement is possible depending on performance and availability of posts.
Duties & responsibilities
- Project management of one or more of the Talent & Skills initiatives – specifically the business accelerator for skills providers
- Manage the organisation of participants through the programme and ensure that the experience of participants is of the highest quality
- Attendance at programme events and support of events management personnel to ensure that setup is to the required specification
- Meet the schedule expectations and take initiative on being prepared, helping to prevent ‘last minute’ scenarios
- Report to the Head of Talent and Skills on any budget responsibility you may have been assigned
- Collaborate with the Head of Talent and Skills on the programme delivery – and be willing to input new ideas to future work or suggest areas for improvement
- Assist the Head of Talent and Skills with operational tasks associated with currently active programmes. This could include coordinating programme participants, important contacts, partner/sponsor relationships, managing suppliers, preparing documentation, presentations and briefing documents, organising payments, booking travel and accommodation, ordering branded merchandise, etc
- Be an approachable and public voice on behalf of the programme, Tech North, and the Northern tech sector
- Contribute to the work of the Tech North team, including internal and external communications, monitoring relevant news and public affairs announcements, media work and events, as appropriate
- Networking at various events for the purpose of maintaining programme relevance, quality and promotion
Skills & experience
- You have experience of working as a junior project manager – ideally in a role that helped with the creation and delivery of a learning programme aimed at business
- Capable of assisting with the creation of a programme of medium to large-scale events
- Highly self-motivated and determined
- You are personable and able to quickly build strong and positive relationships with various stakeholders including entrepreneurs, mentors, partners, sponsors, corporates, government and high-profile organisations or individuals
- Passionate about the North and supporting early-stage tech companies and their founders
- You have experience of working in the digital technology sector and/or experience of working in the skills sector
- Comfortable with handling pressure and deadlines
- Willingness to work as part of a friendly and passionate team
How to apply
Location – North of England
If you are interested, please send a covering letter, your CV and a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. No agencies please.
Tech City UK is an equal opportunities employer. Job applicants may be asked to provide evidence of their ability to work and live in the country where the role exists.